Here We Stand
Olivet Presbyterian Church
Conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ; so that ... I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel.
We Proclaim and Uphold the following theological truths from the Bible:
- The glory, mystery and work of the one and only God, known forever as God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- The all-powerful, all-wise and loving God of the universe as Lord of all Creation.
- That humanity was created by God to love and enjoy Him forever.
- That humanity, in its arrogance and pride, rebelled from God’s perfect will and intention for Creation. That rebellion has resulted in a humanity alienated from God. This rebellion continues today as an inherently sinful humanity seeks to go its own way.
- That out of God’s overwhelming love and grace, God became human in the life, ministry, death, and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.
- That forgiveness and salvation are through Christ alone.
- That the salvation received through Jesus Christ is through God’s grace alone – that there is nothing that we can do to earn or deserve God’s grace.
- That God’s holy, inspired, and revealed Bible is the sole guide and authority for our faith and is sufficient, in and of itself, to instruct, correct, and train in all areas of faith and practice.
- That God’s word is authoritative in our lives and, as God’s people, we are to be obedient to His Word.
- That God calls those whom He has chosen for salvation and service.
- That God has blessed Israel and blesses those who bless Israel.
- That we have been called to live in a community of people, bound together by God’s gracious action, who find their identity, purpose and communion in the risen Lord Jesus Christ.
- That we have been called to be faithful stewards of all that God has given us.
We Believe the following ethical and moral responses to these biblical truth:
- That, being created in the image of God, life begins at conception.
- That God desires for all people to live pure and holy lives as followers of Jesus Christ in all areas of our lives and in all aspects of our relationships, including the Biblical requirements of faithfulness in marriage between a man and a woman and purity in singleness.
- That the purpose of the Church – the "bride" of Christ – is to honor, love and serve God in faithfulness through actions of worship, service, education, missions, evangelism, fellowship and nurture.
- That prayer to God and to Him alone is powerful. Through prayer, in the name of Jesus Christ and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we offer up our praises, desires, and intercessions to God. We confess our sins and give grateful thanks for God’s mercies.
- That our Churches exist for all who live in brokenness and would find wholeness in Jesus Christ through humility, repentance, and God’s grace.
- That as members of the Church – Christ’s "body" – we have been called to love, encourage and support one another.
- That leadership is a calling from God, not a right to be claimed, and that those called to leadership in God’s Church strive to live in obedience to His Word.
We Invite all who would come: All those who are broken, all those who have sought meaning in the things of this world and found them wanting, all those in need of identity and purpose to visit our Church families as, together, we seek to honor God, grow into the likeness of Christ, and live in the healing power of the Holy Spirit.
"Pursue after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith ..."